A Look At Our Past 11/4/2021
Tue, 11/02/2021 - 11:02am caleb
From the pages of the Crawford County Avalanche
23 Years Ago
November 5, 1998
Crawford County Board of Commissioners Chairman John Hartman told fellow board members at their October 27 meeting of plans for a mall to be built in Beaver Creek Township.
Developers of Fox Run Golf Course, Jerry DeWitt and Ron Fraser, are proposing a retail development to be built on 190 acres of land between Four and Five Mile Roads, along Old 27. The acreage is adjacent to the golf course property.
Over 300 Grayling High School students registered to vote for a mock election held October 29. However, as in real elections only 134 ballots were cast on election...that’s a 44% turnout. More than 72% of those voting cast a straight Republican ballot, 19% a straight Democratic ballot.
On Saturday, October 17, the Grayling High School Varsity and Junior Varsity cheerleaders competed in the 1998 Northern Michigan Fall Cheerleading Championship. The competition was held at East Jordan High School with one middle school, seven Junior Varsity and 12 high school teams participating.
Hanson Hill Recreation Area was the site last weekend of what has become an annual haunting in Crawford County. This year, members of the newly formed Hanson Hills Snowboard Club created the Haunted House in the Main Lodge for Spookfest ‘98, with proceeds going to improve the half-pipe at the recreation area. About 450 people braved ghosts, demons and skeletons jumping out of the darkness and into black lights and strobe lights throughout the Haunted House.
46 Years Ago
October 30, 1975
Ronald Fraser, innkeeper of Holiday Inn of Grayling, has been selected among the international Holiday Inn System’s top ten percent innkeepers for 1975.
The Michigan Association of Realtors recently honored Clyde Borchers by electing him to a two-year term on the Michigan Nominating Committee. He was also honored by the Water Wonderland Board of Realtors by being selected as Realtor of the Year.
69 Years Ago
October 30, 1952
As this issue goes to press the new Spike’s Keg O’ Nails, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Harold MacNeven, Ruby and Spike, is ready to serve you.
92 Years Ago
October 31, 1929
Wednesday forenoon with Dr. C.R. Keyport, Dr. C.G. Clippert and school nurse, Mrs. Maurice Gorman, 250 Grayling school children received their first dose of toxin-anti-toxin against diphtheria. It took about three house to take care of the group.
Frank Dreese of Demore was in town the first of the week. While here he rented his house on Park Street to Stanley Flowers of West Branch, who is the new operator at the Western Union office.
Twelve young ladies and gents were the guests of the Misses Margaret Fehr and Clara Bugby last evening at a delightful Halloween party given at the home of the former.