Briefs 4.28.2022

PFAS town hall meeting to be held
A PFAS update town hall meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 10, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Kirtland Community College in Community Room A. An open house session will be held during the hour prior to the meeting; all representatives will be present during this time to answer questions. The Army National Guard will provide an update on the continuing investigations of PFAS contamination at and near Camp Grayling and the Grayling Army Airfield. The agenda for this meeting will also include an update on the drinking water sampling, discussion about upcoming field work at Camp Grayling and the Grayling Army Airfield, and presentation of findings from various investigations around Camp Grayling. For questions about the investigation or for a copy of the presentation materials, contact Amy Handley, DMVA, or call her at 517.219.2209. For questions related to PFAS and health, contact Sesha Kallakuri, MDHHS, or call her at 517.331.2792 or 800.648.6942.
Police to gather items for Viking Pantry
Join the Grayling City Police and “Stuff the Patrol Car” on Saturday, April 30, from noon to 3 p.m. at the Grayling Family Fare parking lot. All items to benefit the Viking Pantry. Items needed are non-perishable food, hygiene products, and school supplies. 
MSU to conduct vaccine study
Researchers at Michigan State University are conducting a study about the individuals and groups that the public feels are responsible for making sure that vaccines are safe and effective. The team is recruiting individuals from communities across Michigan to develop as complete a picture of what people think as possible. Participants will receive a $50 incentive for their time. There are two different groups. If you are responsible for making vaccine decisions for a minor child the group takes place Monday, May 2, from 7-9 p.m. If you are not responsible for making vaccine decisions for a minor child the group takes place on Tuesday, May 3, from 7-9 p.m. The location for both is the Otsego County Library, 700 S Otsego Avenue, Gaylord. To sign up for either group please email
Emergency house number signs available
The Crawford County Commission on Aging & Senior Center has a few emergency house number signs available. These are universal, green, reflective signs with your house number on it which makes it easier for first responders to locate your home. Crawford County residents age 60 and older can receive a sign if they do not already have one. Contact Tammy Findlay, Advocacy and Resource Coordinator at the Commission on Aging, at 989.348.7123.
Senior Center offers free masks
The Senior Center has a supply of free N95 and cloth masks available to those in need. Also, Americans with Medicare Part B, including those enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, now have access to Food and Drug Administration approved, authorized, or cleared over-the-counter COVID-19 tests at no cost. People with Medicare can get up to eight tests per calendar month from participating pharmacies and health care providers for the duration of the COVID-19 public health emergency. This new initiative enables payment from Medicare directly to participating eligible pharmacies and other health care providers to allow Medicare beneficiaries to receive tests at no cost, in addition to the two sets of four free at-home COVID-19 tests Americans can continue to order from Based on policy and preferred pharmacy get them at the following locations: Medicine Shoppe, Family Fare, and Walgreens.
Community Garden plots to be available
The Grayling Community Garden plans to have plots available around Memorial Day for any interested Crawford County resident. The Community Garden property, located at the corner of Madsen and Mary Ann Streets, has been made available courtesy of the Carl W. Borchers Post Veterans of Foreign Wars #3736. Plots will vary in size depending on the number of gardeners but all are available free of charge. The Grayling Community Garden is also seeking volunteers to help maintain plots which will grow food for the community. Food from this plot will go to individuals and families via the Crawford County Christian Help Center Food Pantry, River House Shelter, the Crawford AuSable School Viking Pantry, and the Commission on Aging. To sign up for a plot go to by May 6. To help with the community plot, contact the Grayling Community Garden at 989.348.7123.
Walk in the Woods to start May 4
Join the Commission on Aging to explore trails around Crawford County and Roscommon County. Starting May 4 meet up on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. to Walk in the Woods. To get the location and times of each hike please contact Toby Neal at 989.348.7123 or
Wii Bowling Team to meet on Wednesdays
The Wii Bowling Team at the Crawford County Commission on Aging & Senior Center will be meeting every Wednesday from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. at the Senior Center to practice and is currently looking for new players. No experience is necessary; come play, meet new friends, and have a good time.  
Have an upcoming event? Announce it here
Upcoming event announcements can run one time in the Briefs. Public events or services that are ongoing may run once per month. Deadline for submission is noon on Monday each week. Submit Brief items to the Avalanche via email at or in person at the Avalanche office (108 Michigan Avenue). Please provide event date, time, place, appropriate details, and a contact person’s email address. There is no cost to be included in the Briefs. Brief page items are for local events, or outings elsewhere involving local people.

Crawford County Avalanche

Mailing Address
Box 490
Grayling, MI 49738

Phone: 989-348-6811
FAX: 989-348-6806

Comment Here